Doctors have attached a toddler’s finger to his stomach after half of it was bitten clean off by a horse he was trying to feed.
 

The boy, who is one year and 11 months old, was visiting the Weichuan Pushin Ranch in Taoyuan City, in north-western Taiwan, when his mum ignored safety regulations and lifted him over the barriers so he could give hay to one of the horses.

After his mum, Liu Ching-wen, held him over two wooden fences to reach the animal, the large black horse snapped at the hay in the boy’s right hand and bit the front section of his index finger right off.

The 41-year-old mum panicked and said she later picked up the severed finger, holding onto it tightly while claiming she "didn’t dare look".

She called an ambulance to the ranch and the child was taken to hospital for emergency treatment.

Surgeons spent three hours operating on the boy, but in the end opted against reattaching the severed finger right away.

The medics explained that because the digit was severed by a horse bite, the chances of there being harmful bacteria were high.

Instead, the boy’s right hand was attached to his belly by wrapping the remaining section of his finger with skin, while the severed portion is now being disinfected.

Only after the doctors are given the all-clear will they attempt to reattach the boy’s finger.

Liu, who called the incident "the worst day in the 41 years" of her life, has blamed the ranch for lacking adequate safety equipment.

Her protests, however, have fallen on deaf ears as the popular tourist site was found to have installed numerous warning signs asking visitors not to cross the safety boundaries.

The ranch, which first opened in 1957, has promised to help the family in any way possible, but they have not said whether they would be offering compensation.

anon

Author: Scott Feng

Google Ads